However, 95% of the small business owners that I speak to are not doing it, 4% are doing it badly and 1% are making a fortune from it.
Typically business owners tell me:
- We email our list every now and then
- I don’t know what to say …
- I don’t want to spam people
- People will get mad if I email too often
- Email marketing is dying
In my world there is nothing boring about doubling your business. Personally, I rarely send out an email without making money – and I send out lots of emails every week.
I believe that there is no faster, easier or more cost-effective way to generate sales than email marketing.
But how do you join the 1%?
Here are my top seven tips for effective email marketing:
- Keep in touch on a regular basis
- Be happy for people to unsubscribe from your list (they are not interested)
- Don’t sell most of the time. Rather, educate and position yourself or your business as the ‘go to’ expert in your niche
- Write effective copy
- Make sure you test different formats, including plain text and plain text using html
- Try video email marketing
- Be consistent
The added bonus tip …
And this one is the BIG ONE!
Don’t give up. So many people that I speak to tell me: “I have tried email marketing and it didn’t work. We sent out an email in January, another in February and again in March and we have won no business.” This is like meeting a man or woman in a bar and hoping to build that relationship by sending out a monthly email. It simply doesn’t work.
Rather, is it best practice to keep in touch at least weekly, to phone these people and to arrange to meet them at events etc.
Need further marketing help? Take a look at this.